Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Importance of Sleep

Today, as I sit here trying to keep my eyes open, I’m thinking about the easiest thing we can do to keep our bodies running smoothly: get some shut eye. Actually, I know it’s not easy for everyone; that’s why there’s a market for prescription drugs like Ambien. But, it’s usually pretty easy for me. The problem is that I just don’t coordinate it well enough. When I know I have to get up early in the morning, I should get to sleep at a reasonable time (say, before 10 p.m.), but I have trouble actually doing it. I end up rolling into bed around 11:30 and it’s probably 12 or 12:30 before I’m sleeping. Then, the alarm rings at 5:00 a.m., and I’m begging for a few more hours.

The fact of the matter is that five hours really isn’t enough sleep for most of us. Everyone’s sleep needs are different, but experts (including many prestigious doctors and my favorite nurse) agree that we should shoot for at least seven hours each night. While we’re sleeping, our bodies are recharging. The liver is detoxifying, and if we give it enough time, we’ll be refreshed and ready for the next day. So, how do we combat sleep troubles without relying on prescription drugs? Here are a few things you can try:

1. Set your bedtime: I know; you’re going to feel like you’re 10 years old again, but this is one of the most helpful things you can do. Tell yourself that you’re going to be in bed at 10 p.m. if you have to be up at five.

2. Make time to wind down: Turn off the television about an hour before your bedtime and just relax. You can read a relaxing book (no Stephen King thrillers), take a bath, meditate or just sit in silence. Being too plugged in right before bed will just make your mind race around like crazy and cause you to sit there winding down when you should be sleeping.

3. Find another place for your pets to sleep: Many people love inviting their cats or dogs into the bed, but if you’re having trouble sleeping, you should rethink this. Just like humans, cats and dogs can move around a lot in the night – which will interfere with your rest, whether you realize it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment